Saturday, January 3, 2009

It's My Blog And I'll Cry If I Want To



For all of my wonderful adopting buddies out there with Homeland, this post's for you! I just couldn't keep myself from posting about the day in the life of an adopting Mom. It all began Friday afternoon around 2:00pm when a little birdie told me that three Letters of Approval/Confirmation had come in to our agency.....which led to a frenzy of anxiously waiting Mommys seeking out any word on just WHO the lucky families were. My inbox was flooded almost instantly with emails, and so the craziness began.....starting right there in my living room and spreading all the way across the US. The good thing is that I still had a few of those precious caramel hershey's kisses in my super secret hiding spot. The bad thing was that I wasn't intending to eat them ALL in one day like that. But, wow, what a nice buzz you can get on a bag of hershey's kisses....if you eat the whole thing at once that is.......

And so, all afternoon, the madness went on. All of us anxious Mommys hoping and praying and worrying and eating chocolate and emailing and calling and eating some more chocolate and crossing our fingers and wondering and checking our inboxes and checking our phones and .....well......you get the picture. And by now, any of you not adopting, might be thinking "holy moly, this girl is losing her mind!". And yes, I think you just might be onto something there.....

But you have to understand that we adopting Mommy's are usually waiting about two years to bring our babies home.......and I think that might be the gestational time of an elephant......or some other very large animal......

That being said, when we get any little tidbit of news about traveling, we seemingly normal women can find ourselves suddenly on the brink of insanity. Or something appearing to be insanity:)

As the Friday afternoon frenzy went on, with none of us being able to pinpoint just who all of the mysterious families were, it was becoming more and more apparent that we might not have been one of the chosen ones. But I held on fiercly to hope (and to my precious bag of chocolate), and clutched my cell phone tightly in my hand, willing the phone to ring with Homelands' number flashing on the other side.

But, after savoring every last hershey's kiss in my secret stash, and having myself a little tiny cry out in the privacy of my laundry room, I got THE email. The email that said that yes, it was true, we WERE NOT the chosen ones this week. Luckily, by then, I was already in my happy place from my sugar high from all that chocolate. And that nice little sugar high carried me right through the moment of truth with such grace that even my husband was amazed. Of course, he surely didn't know about that little tiny cry I had while I was folding his underwear earlier. And he definately didn't know that I had just downed a surprisingly large number of hershey's kisses in record time. And he most certainly was not aware of the hundreds of emails I had sent out that afternoon trying to find out WHO the lucky families were(I may be exagerating on that last one a bit....)

And so, because my dear husband was so impressed with my poise and grace last evening, I decided to let him believe that I still have a little bit of my sanity about me........

And I decided that getting back in line for the waiting wasn't so bad after all......

Because I know I'm gonna be getting back in line beside some of my good 'ol Homeland buddies.......

And one day soon....

it WILL be our day........

OUR day to hold that precious Letter in our hands........

OUR day to pack our suitcases and board a jetplane.......

OUR day to see the Great Wall appearing beneath the clouds.....

OUR day to see our precious little ones for the very first time.....

OUR day to be at the end of our journeys........

Soon, girls, very soon, it will be OUR day..........

7 comments:

Cindy said...

You know, I was eating hershey kisses as I read this post! My nightly search through blogs for any info in HAS adoption world :) You are right, hershey kisses help a lot! I am so sorry for the long wait. I can't wait for you to bring your sweet girl home. Stay strong and get another bag :) You can exercise it all off by all the jumping for joy you will do when you get to bring your daughter home! Ha!

Mommy said...

I was one of those crazy Mommy's rooting for you yesterday. I must of checked your blog 100 times to see your good news. I am so proud of you for being positive in the face of disappointment. Please direct me to this post in late 2009 when it's my turn. In the meantime, hang in there. Your day is coming. I hope the "buzz in the air" belongs to you. :0)

Flamingo said...

sigh. do i even need to comment here?

you know we are doing this again girl? what else will we do with our time when it's all over.

it's ridiculous how ridiculous we all get...well, how you and i get...well how i get.

if only i could pop a little blue pill or something, but then i wouldn't be able to go to china;)

shelley said...

I don't think I have ever loved you more than when I read this post. OUR day will be here yes, I just hope I still fit in the airplane seat. Keepping my chins up over here.

Tessa said...

Oh my goodness ... I actually talked to Flamingo Mama at one point that day about all of this and I thought it just might be you too! It definitely seemed like all the ducks were lining up that way. I completely appreciate your honesty and sense of humor in all of this. Praise the Lord that you had a Hershey Kiss stash. And you are SO right .. your day is coming ... SOON!

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather!!!
I am feeling your emotions in this post soooo much b/c exactly one year ago today--I was in the same place. Waiting desperatley to hear if our LOSC had come, going NOWHERE w/out my phone...and panicking if I missed a call. It reminded me of being 9 months pregnant....waiting for the 1st labor pain! Your time is coming...very soon--I have seen LOA's coming in..and they usually coome in waves!! Meanwhile--keep the kisses handy b/c after you get your LOA, you will need them for the wait for your TA, stress about packing (12 pairs of undies, or 13???--yes, I struggled w/ that question for about a 1/2 hour at one of my breaking points!)and the enormity of meeting this sweet baby girl, a million miles away!!! Don't worry about the weight...it will come off in China--w/ all the "interesting" food and walking you will do. For now, eat chocolate, stay by the phone, and pray like crazy!!!!
(you will be giving me the same lecture in a few months when you are home w/ Maia, and I am waiting on MY LOA!!!We should be DTC by next week!!:-)
Call me...would love to get together!!!
Amy
Hope's MommyXOXOXO

emily said...

I have never been through what you are going through, adoption isn't something me & hubby are considering at this point (but because of your's & Flamingo's story it isn't out of the question anymore). I've been following your journey with such interest & anticipation. My heart goes out to you! I'm praying like crazy now - I'm going to bug the heck out of Him. Do you think that'll speed things up?