On Monday I took SuSu for her second round of immunizations. Unfortunately, she knows now that going to visit the doctor usually means some kind of ouchie, but she really is a trooper. She was just on the verge of tears after her "ouchies" when she remembered that stickers were coming....thank goodness for bribery:) As we walked out of the office, she looked up at me with those beautiful eyes and said "No more ouchies, Momma". Oh, how I wish I could have reassured her that those were the last ones!
(Just as a little background, we were sent a booklet from SuSu's orphanage listing all of the immunizations that she had recieved in China. So when she came home, we had titers done to test how effective her immunizations were. As it turns out, they weren't effective.....at all. So she had to begin all of them again, as we would with a newborn. In some ways, I think it was easier with a baby because they don't really know what's coming.)
As far as SuSu's testing goes, her MRI will be next Tuesday the 21st at 8am. The MRI will be of her spinal cord and also of her pelvic anatomy, and will have to be done under anesthesia. I think the worst part will be the IV because SuSu has such tiny veins, so please pray that they're able to get a good site quickly!
We've started a bowel regimen at home this week, but we really haven't been doing it long enough to have any pattern or results yet. The funny thing is that SuSu LOVES medicine. By LOVES, I mean she literally dances around the kitchen and sings about her medicine! At least it's been easy having her drink her "belly medicine", although it's kind of weird how excited she gets about it:)
SuSu is still showing a HUGE interest in potty training, but the language barrier has really been difficult in this area. There are some things which we just don't know how to explain to her, and we know how much she really wants to be a big girl. We never anticipated her wanting to try to potty train, and we didn't even think about doing it until after all of her testing and/or sugeries were done. But she's seen her big brother and other friends so many times that she wants to be a "big girl", too, and we can't blame her. We just didn't figure on this happening before we were ready to know how to handle it!
I'll be sure to update all of you next week after the MRI, and hopefully it will once again be good news! Please pray that our SuSu's spinal cord is healthy and perfectly formed and that she won't need to have any surgery on her spine in the future.
2 comments:
I will be praying for a WONDERFUL nurse to be able to place the IV on the first time. Thank you so much for letting us know about her progress. Kevin has the big snip next monday.
I have been reading your site for a while now. I live in Amarillo, and have a five year old biological son. After several years of trying for another child, we are considering international adoption. This is a very hard decision for me, I am such a planner, and there are so many unknowns in the adoption world! Also, my son says he would love a sibling, but I wonder how he will react to everything. I know your situation was somewhat similar, can you give me any insight? My e-mail address is dd-jones@tamu.edu. Thank you so much!
Post a Comment