
One week ago I was snuggled up on the couch with Prince Charming, watching over a dozen contestants sweat like nobody's business on the Biggest Loser while I savored my last bowl of full-fat chocolate ice cream for a long time. The next morning, I hopped on the scale and gasped at the numbers. Yikes! I have a long way to go, baby!
Since last Wednesday, I've been making some huge life changes.
Because the countdown is on to my best friend's wedding!
One week is already down, but luckily, there are 42 more to go. Thank goodness she didn't decide on a quick engagement. Love ya for that, Janell:)
My first job on my weight loss challenge? A trip to the grocery store. Without kids. You wouldn't believe how many twinkies and potatoe chips sneak into your grocery cart when you have small children with you.
Next on my list was getting rid of those pesky treats that always get me into trouble. Bye bye powdered donuts. So long hunk of cheddar cheese. Wow. That was painful.
Honestly, I did find some amazing treats to keep on hand for those days when I just have to have chocolate. My favorite right now are the mint flavored skinny cow ice cream sandwiches that are only 2 points (on weight watchers). They're pure heaven and they taste like the real thing. Fabulous! I indulge in one low-cal treat a day and that right there is the key to my sanity.
The other thing that really helps me out is that I have a little veggie lover who actually asks Mommy to cook broccoli. I love you so much for that, SuSu! Last nite she and I chowed down on roasted asparagus and it was surprisingly delicious. Prince Charming and Peanut were completely appalled at what we were eating, but if it gives me one less chin, let's do it!
My biggest challenge since my stint on the Biggest Loser happened at work on Saturday when a huge display of dunkin donuts appeared out of nowhere at our nurses station and stayed there all morning long. Talk about torture. I made it past those donuts a dozen times without touching them, but it was aweful. I almost gave up on Day 3. And trust me, the non-fat jello I ate didn't satisfy me quite like a cream filled donut does. But I survived. Barely.
So now that one week is over, I actually feel really good. I definately was hungry. No doubt about it. Around 4pm, I've been known to start chewing on cardboard and get rather grumpy. Why is it that I get soooo hungry at that hour?? But if I can get past that time of the day, I'm usually okay. Usually.
I can't say that I got into a size 6 jeans this week (a girl can do dream, right?), but I do feel so much better knowing I'm doing something good for my body. And amazingly, four pounds were gone this morning!! That always makes eating cardboard worth it:) And my dear Prince Charming lovingly told me he thinks he notices a difference in me already.....anybody want to guess where he thinks I lost 4lbs?? I'll give you one guess......
Anyhow.....
They say the first two weeks are the hardest. So the last 41 weeks should be a breeze I think:)
I haven't set a weight loss goal yet. I have my fantasy weight, and then I have my reality weight. Considering that I'm 30 something and that my thyroid likes to work at a snail's pace, I'm leaning towards that reality weight.
I do have a question for anybody who might have some insight into hypothyroidism and weight loss. I know there are certain foods that definately affect the thryoid, and losing weight can be a lot harder when you have an underactive one. I'm on Synthroid, but if anyone has any tips, I would be so grateful to hear them.
Back to my carrot sticks now....
3 comments:
I can eat a block of sharp cheddar cheese faster than you can say the words "sharp cheddar cheese"... that WOULD be difficult to give up, I can totally understand.
It's SO much harder to eat healthy when at work. It's torture. I'm trying to stay away from the evil vending machine but those stupid Cheetos and Fritos call me DAILY. Maybe after reading your post, I might be able to stop - this post was VERY inspiring!
I think its AWESOME that you've already lost 4 pounds just from adopting a few healthier eating habits in ONE week! It's amazing! Wow...
I'm so proud of you!!! I definitely need to curtail my snacking...or at least make healthier choices.
I didn't know Janell got engaged. Please pass along my congratulations to her. And I want details later :)
Way to go Wuxi! I know it's hard losing weight when you have hypothyroidism, I've witnessed the ups and downs of a family member who struggles with the same issue. I'll have to ask her if she has any tips to pass on.
Post a Comment