Saturday, January 16, 2010

Girls Are Different Than Boys




Girls are different than boys.

This is what I've learned over the past 10 months of parenting both.

Girls are different than boys.

You think I would have known this.

Seeing that I come from a family of all sisters.

But it still comes as a shock to the system.

Girls are different than boys.

For example, Peanut could care less if his shirt is on backwards, his socks don't match and he doesn't have any underwear on.

Seriously. No big deal.

But SuSu?

Buttons in the front, Momma. Pink socks with a pink shirt. Don't forget my flower underwear.

Whoa.

Girls are different than boys.

For instance, Peanut doesn't seem to notice the mud on his sneakers, the ketchup on his shirt or the grease on his pants. He can be covered in dirt and barely bat an eyelash.

And SuSu?

Ummmm....."wash this off, please, Momma. I no like being messy."

Wow.

Girls are different than boys.

Peanut can find every excuse in the book not to clean up his toys, his room, his bookbag, his desk.

But SuSu?

She asks Mommy if she can clean up. She even asks if she can help Peanut clean up his stuff.

Weird.

Girls are different than boys.

Peanut dreads going to the barber, getting his fingernails cut or having Mommy fuss over his hair in the morning before school. Even when he has bed head.

And SuSu?

She sings about getting her hair cut, begs Momma to go look at the nail polish in the supermarket and brings Momma the comb in the morning saying "I want be pretty at school".

Funny.

Girls are different than boys.

Peanut gets excited just thinking about the next model train event, seeing the tractors at the farm or riding on his Uncle Mike's four wheeler.

But SuSu?

She probably doesn't even know what an engine is, but she can name every kind of Hershey's chocolate candy bar ever made. And list her favorites while she's at it.

That's Momma's girl!

Girls are different than boys.

Both a treasure.

Both silly.

Tender-hearted.

Loving.

Forgiving.

Affectionate.

Happy.

Beautiful.

And different.

But I wouldn't have it any other way.

3 comments:

shelley said...

WOW....what a shocker.....

Kevin is Susu and Claire is peanut. Tell me how THAT figures into our scheme of things??? Is is the Wuxi in them????

Claire does LOVE LOVE LOVE a good princess outfit at times

Unknown said...

Ha ha ha! good post! I get reminded of this daily too!

Flamingo said...

well, Sparkles ALWAYS has her clothes on backwards and shoes on the wrong feet...but so does her brother. Since we have copy cat syndrome here i don't know what she would be like without him. she loves princesses BUT she LOVEs to fight with light sabors and play football.

she used to FREAK when she got something on her when we 1st met. I think she got tired of hearing me say, "i think you will be fine" and now is completely over it.:)