This morning it happened.
So quickly that I wasn't ready.
Ready for the question.
The question that I knew one day would be coming.
But not yet.
Surely not today.
A little voice in the backseat was chattering away.
Telling Mommy all about her morning at preschool.
And about painting and coloring
About snack time and her favorite cookies.
I was smiling to myself
Giggling at how she wished there were more cookies
And how she did a good job at clean up time.
Then suddenly she had a thought.
A random idea that came from out of the blue.
"Momma...Lena has a mei mei at her house."
(Lena is our neighbor girl whose Mommy is expecting a baby.)
"Yes, honey, Lena's Momma has a baby in her belly."
"Momma, I want a mei mei come to live SuSu's house."
"Ummmm....maybe someday a mei mei will come to our house. We'll have to talk to Babba about that!".
"Okay."
Long pause.
"Momma, why I no be in Momma's belly?".
Oh dear. How did we go from our favorite cookies to this?
I was caught so off guard.
The hard questions.
They have come.
I've shared with SuSu before that she had a China Mommy.
That Peanut grew in Mommy's belly and SuSu grew in her China Mommy's belly.
And she never asked me "why?".
I thought about it.
Why?
Why did she grow in her China Mommy's belly and not mine?
"Well, honey, you were so special that God gave you two Mommys. Two Mommys who love you lots and lots."
I waited.
Would that be enough?
Would she want to know more?
"Okay, Momma."
Long pause.
"Momma, I hungry. We eat at home?".
"Yes, sweetheart. We'll eat as soon as get there."
5 comments:
You handled that so well. I hope I have that kind of grace when I get those hard questions. Trust me when I tell you I get stumped on much, much, much easier questions. Its so hard to find the right, age appropriate words sometimes. Way to go Momma!
wow? already?? sparkles is no where close to this processing. i have already explained that christian was in mommy's belly and that she was in her china's mommy belly. i told her she was VERY special because she has 2 mommy's. she has NOOO understanding of what the heck i'm talking about!
I'm so nervous for these questions. I guess they can come long before we think they will, huh? Sounds like you explained it quite well!! I'm not sure when to begin telling Elle about everything. I haven't told Mory much about it either yet! I guess there is no time like the present!!
Do you have the book "God Found Us You"? Our SW gave it to Molly and I think it is perfect. There is one page in there I'm iffy about but I'll decide when and if I will read that to her later. If not, you can find it on Amazon
Wow ... I am in awe of your SuSu and how she is processing everything already. I have a client who was adopted at 3 months, and she is now 7 years old. I have known her since she was 4 years old. Her Mom and I have spent a lot of time with her trying to help her understand why her birthmom would choose to place her for adoption and why her adoptive mom will not leave her. She was able to share with us when she was very young how she felt that she was left alone in the hospital with no one to take care of her. I agree that you handled the question in such a loving way amidst your shock! I will pray for you and SuSu as these questions arise. She is such a sweetheart!
Post a Comment