Friday, September 5, 2008

The First Day Of Kindergarten




Peanut and Mommy survived (just barely) the first day of Kindergarten!! Our morning was going along well until a little somebody realized that there was only one precious hour of summer vacation left........and then the tears started. Who knew how long an hour can really be? My poor little guy shed a lot of tears between 11am and 12pm before we had to leave home, but that wasn't the worst part of our adventure. Just after Peanut was all dressed in his first-day-of-school outfit, he began crying so hard that he actually threw up all over himself. Yes, he really did. It's good that Mommy's a nurse, but not so good that Mommy's still a Mommy. We went through this very same scene over and over again a year ago in pre-K, and I knew what was coming.....the decision to keep him home or send him to school in spite of the throwing up episode. Because we had been through this many time before last fall, I knew he most likely would do well once he actually was in his class. And so, I made the agonizing decision to try to take Tristan to school for his Kindergarten debut (after lots of hugs and a quick clothing change of course!)

A few minutes after 12:00, we sat together by the front door, tears still trickling down his cheeks. I wrapped my arms around him and prayed for Jesus to take away his worries (I said a lot of silent prayers for mommy, too!). I wiped his tears away one last time and then tucked him in his carseat for the five minute car ride to school. Thankfully, a sense of peace seemed to settle over Peanut as we walked up to his teacher, who was waiting eagerly to greet him at the door. I stood and watched him for a moment and quickly turned away after he disappeared down the hallway so nobody would see the tears now slipping down Mommy's cheeks.

I kept myself busy at home while the hours slipped by and anxiously drove back to pick Tristan up at 3:15. Because of where we live, there aren't any school buses that come to our home, so I'll always be driving my kiddos back and forth to school:) Much to Mommy's relief, the first day of Kindergarten was a great success!! Peanut LOVED it and talked non-stop for the next half hour about his day. Before he got into the car, his teacher whispered to me that he did great and had no tears at all at school! Thank you, Jesus:) Needless to say, we didn't have any traditional first day of school pictures, but we were just glad to actually get to the first day of school:)

2 comments:

lifelaughterchaos said...

You poor thing! I'm so glad to hear it went well!!

Tessa said...

So glad that God answered your prayers and that his day got much better when he got there!