Sunday, April 26, 2009

I Think My Kids Are Normal



Somebody once told me that you aren't a real mom until you have two kids....and all the FUN that goes along with it. By FUN, I think she must have meant something quite the opposite:) Because this past weekend, we sure have been having some kind of FUN! It appears that the honeymoon between Peanut and SuSu might have ended sometime Friday night, and now we're entering the wonderful world of "sharing", "taking turns" and "being fair" full force.

Someone also once told me that there's always a "honeymoon" when you first bring home your adopted child. And it usually lasts a few weeks when everyone is fascinated with the "newness" of it all, before reality really sinks in. And I think our honeymoon officially lasted about 2 weeks! So, sadly, it looks like I have to announce to the bloggy world that my children are now NORMAL. Yes, you read that right. They're now a NORMAL pair of siblings. They've suddenly learned how to really push each other's buttons, and make Mommy painfully aware that she needs a crash course in parenting 101 pronto:)

I know. I know. I shouldn't be surprised when SuSu begins testing the limits or when Peanut wants to have that spotlight back. I shouldn't bat an eyelash when SuSu decides that ALL the toys in the house are exclusively hers or when Peanut claims that the mess in the living room was made my his sister, not him. Yes, I think Mommy was in denial that THE day would come when my children would become NORMAL. But that day is now officially here, and I am soooo wishing I had paid closer attention when my friends were sharing parenting tips all those months ago!

Of course, my two "angels" still enjoy playing together, but they're also beginning to realize that there's two of them and only ONE of Mommy. And this doesn't seem to please everybody the way it once did. Soooo....Mommy's digging out all those parenting books again and trying to figure out what to do when your children are, well.... NORMAL.

2 comments:

Flamingo said...

you are too funny! now, that is not true...you are DEFINITELY a moom with just one...but you just get to more mom insanity with 2:)

wow! you got a honeymoon stage? how nice is that?? lol

don't worry...yao yao thinks everything is yao yao's as she watches everyone steal "yao yao's stuff" lol

and lil' rocker and her stare at each other from their car seats...she makes kissing noises at him to irritate him..and he will try to touch her with his foot. they are both saying, "doooon't".

aah. motherhood. and why do we do this??

shelley said...

yeah!!!!! another normal family. I can't believe you got such a long honeymoon phase...I had about 2 days. OK...I nominate you to find all you can about sibling rivalry and how we can help it and report back. Thanks