It's hard to believe that it's the end of August already! Summertime somehow always flies by way too fast around here:) I knew we were nearing the end of summer when my "bug expert" brought in a lovely grasshopper to show me yesterday from our garden. You have to love boys and their fascination with the creepy crawly things in the great outdoors:) When the grasshoppers start appearing everywhere in the flower beds, I know the last lazy days of August are upon us. And that can mean only thing.....school is just around the corner. I just can't believe that in two short weeks, my "baby" is heading off to kindergarten! Yes, the day is really coming too fast now for us all, especially for mommy. As much as I've been craving a little time for myself lately, I know how much my heart's going to ache the moment I watch him go through the doors at school that first day. Already I get teary eyed thinking about it! I've had six wonderful years home with Peanut, and I just never imagined the time would come so quickly to say good-bye to this chapter in our lives. It's a bittersweet time watching him become a little more independent. I'm so very proud of him and the cheerful, tender-hearted spirit God has placed in him. I know it's part of the journey as a mom to give them wings and let them go. But it's a lot harder than I ever thought it would be........and he's only starting kindergarten!
What came to my mind today, too, is that this is our last summer as just the two of us. I know it sounds crazy that I would feel sad about that. There were so many days this summer when I found myself thinking "I don't know how I can ever wait another day to bring our Maia home!". Maybe every mom feels this way when her second baby is on the way.......the bittersweet feeling that the precious one-on-one time with her firstborn is soon coming to an end. For me, all I know is how to be a mom to my Peanut. Nearly all my friends have welcomed their second and third children in the past few years, but I only know what it's like to parent one. Six years is a long time, and our little routine around here is so predictable, so comfy and so easy (most days!). Part of me gets a little panicky when I realize our world is about to be turned upside down! I have to admit that I love getting all this sleep. I love having a pretty self-sufficient six year old. And I love the rhythm of our little trio! Maybe it's risky to put all of this out there on my blog, but I wanted to keep it real.
What I always come back to is that, without a doubt, I'm head-over-heels in love with my two beautiful kiddos! Being a mom to them is my dream come true! I've cherished these past six years at home with Tristan so much, and would love to just savor this time a little bit more. Yet I know so many beautiful memories are in the making if I'm brave enough to take the plunge and embrace the next part of our journey! Who would have thought that a little word called "kindergarten" could stir up so many feelings for moms? And, to make things even more interesting, add in an adoption (one of the most emotional experiences ever!). I promise all of you that even though I may temporarily become a basket case the first week of September, I'll do my best to enjoy a little "me" time before the days of barbies and tea parties begin.
1 comment:
i remember feeling this way last year... i swore my life was over with dakota. i felt like he was going to college. but he is still here with me... ALOT!;) and you do get used to it!
i have learned something...grasshoppers mean summer is ending? i never knew that!
i too swell like crazy with bees! i feel your pain.
i should have you an your helper come do some gardens for me! i obviously don't get into them since i had no idea the grasshopper thing!
Post a Comment