Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Final Days Of Summer



It's hard to believe that summertime is coming to an end! The pumpkin patch is beginning to creep up over the fence, and gourds and pumpkins are popping up everywhere.







The black-eyed susans are in full-bloom.



And our SuSu is getting sillier.



The cherry tomatoes are ripening.





And the egglplants are almost ready for picking.



Did I mention that our SuSu is getting sillier??



By mid-day our butterfly bushes are covered with monarch butterflies.



And two weeks ago we had a chance to do something Prince Charming loves to do!



I think the last time we picked crabs was almost five years ago! Goodness, where does the time go??



The end of summer is always a bittersweet time for me. There's something magical about those long lazy days of summer, and I'm always sad to see them come to an end. This fall will bring so many changes for us with Peanut starting first grade, SuSu going to preschool and Prince Charming starting his own business! This is the first year our Peanut will be away from home all day long, and SuSu's first time away from Momma and Babba except for a few times at Nana's house. With Mommy working full-time for the first time in 8 years and Daddy busy making preparations for his new adventure, we're all wondering how everything will come together in our family. I'm excited and nervous, as I always am just before September arrives. Excited for the brisk, cool mornings of fall. For hayrides and pupmkin pies. For trick-or-treating and campfires. But nervous, too. Nervous about new teachers and new schools. New routines and new friends. Last year I watched in amazement as our Peanut grew up so quickly before our eyes. I look at him now, so mature, so helpful, so kind, so different than the little boy who went to kindergarten 12 months ago. And I look at our SuSu. So silly, so sassy, so talkative, so beautiful, so different from the timid little girl we brought home 5 months ago. My how much they've changed. How much they've grown. How much I know they'll change again. And again. It's never easy for me to let them go. And yet I know they have so much potentital. So many opportunities. To touch the world with their special gifts. Two more weeks before this chapter ends. And the next one begins. I think I'm ready. As ready as a Mommy can be:)

1 comment:

Lena said...

Let me know when you make some of your world famous pumpkin pie!