Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A Possible Change of Plans



Just as we were making our plans for Cincinatti in July, our insurance has decided to put up a fight to deny us coverage if we take our Maia there. We talked a long time with the surgeon in Cincinatti this week, and he's doing all he can to convince our insuance to reconsider their decision. It's been a roller coaster of emotions, knowing that our Maia needs the care they have out in Ohio and realizing that she might be denied.

The main issue is that there are healthcare providers in our area who COULD do the surgery. But these surgeons are general pediatric surgeons, who do a wide range of surgeries. And we would love to have our Maia seen by someone who only does colorectal surgery because we know he has much more specific experience with Maia's condition. We actually did have Maia seen here in our area by one surgeon recommended to us, and we knew instantly that he wasn't a good match for our Maia. He's rarely seen this condition and his experience is so limited that he wanted to order a test that's actually unsafe for children in her situation!

So now we're at a crossroads, knowing that we want the very best for our Maia, and yet also knowing there's no way we could handle these kinds of bills out of pocket. We're praying that the paperwork that the surgeon in Cincinatti is sending to our insurance company will fall into the right hands this week, and our Maia will have the chance to be in the best care possible!

We've watched God move mountains for us over and over before on our journey to Maia, and we know that He can do it again. So I guess we'll be hopping in our bathtubs again, Emily, and praying in the bubbles!

6 comments:

Kate said...

So very frustrating to be told by an insurer what care and where you can receive it. I've been a nurse for a long time and deal with this frustration daily. My experience tells me that if you try hard enough and persevere you can usually get what you want but they sure won't make it easy--- Good Luck Kate

Heather said...

I'm sick to my stomach. I really can't stand insurance companies. They approved us to go to Cincy but I was ready to fight them if they denied us. If you don't have any luck after Dr. Levitt sends his letter, please post your dilemma on the AI-parents@yahoogroups.com site. There are several moms on that site who have fought their insurance companies to get to Cincinnati and won. They love to help other parents get there too and share their tips.

I'll say a pray for you,
Heather

Heather said...

I meant the IA-parents@yahoogroups.com site. I'm keyboard dyslexic sometimes!

emily said...

My heart goes out to you! And I just want to smack some insurance agent around a bit!

Cindy said...

I'm so sorry. Keep fighting for her. You were chosen as her Mom for a reason! You can do it!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Oh Heather! I am praying right now, God is a lot bigger than the insurance company :-). How frustrating though! I am going to call you soon! We are right in the middle of our move, but I will talk to you soon!