Friday, June 12, 2009

Feeling Frustrated

We're all feeling discouraged and frustrated today as our insurance has continued to deny us more than 50% coverage to take our Maia out to Cincinatti. After a long hour on the phone today with our insurance company, we made little, if any progress, in the right direction. Our insurance is asking us to provide even more extensive information about our Maia's condition and why she needs the care they can give at the Children's Hospital in Cincinatti. And, even if they're convinced that she should be seen there, they'll only cover 80% at the most. 80 PERCENT. I was so proud of myself for keeping my cool, for not becoming overly emotional and for staying as calm and reasonable as any Mommy possibly can under the circumstances. But the answers stayed the same. I hung up the phone and cried tears of frustration. How is it that we, who are priveleged to live in a county with the best healthcare in the world, can't get our children the care they need? Why do we need to prove over and over that our daughter should get the best possible healthcare? It's a tragedy that I can't begin to put into words. Every child deserves the chance to be seen by the best. Especially children who have been through THREE less than effective surgeries in a developing country!

Tonite we're at a crossroads. We know that our best case scenario for coverage is only 80%. We know that this will definately leave us with a huge deficit, considering all the tests and surgeries that Maia will need in the future. We desperately want our girl to be seen in Cincinatti, but we're facing the reality that we have to look into our other options. We don't want to let ourselves be defeated, and yet we feel we have to move to Plan B. Unfortunately we don't have a Plan B yet.

I apologize that this post is a bit unlike me. I'm usually oozing with optimism! I might need to go roast a bag of marshmallows or two and then take a bubble bath with Emily:)

2 comments:

emily said...

My heart aches for you guys! How frustrating, to say the least. Don't give up hope - so many people are praying. This will work out - God is more creative than us!

Tessa said...

How absolutely frustrating! I completely agree - why in the world do you have to fight for something that it is the best for your child? I wish there was something more you could do ... I have not had any experience with this, but it just feels like this should not be the final answer! I will pray that God will open doors for SuSu to get exactly what she needs.