Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Eight Years




Eight years ago today, I was big.

Really, really big.

And it wasn't a pretty sight, people.

Not pretty at all.

But boy was I happy.

On top of the world happy.

If that's even humanly possible after gaining 70 pounds in 9 months.

But happy I was.

And pregnant.

Very, very pregnant.

With our Peanut.

Our wonderful Peanut.

Oh how I couldn't wait to meet him.

Even with those swelled feet and a gigantic belly.

And even though it was one of the hottest summers on record.

Even amidst my soaring blood pressure and shrinking clothes.

I was so happy.

Glowing even.

He was almost here.

And I was nearly bursting with anticipation at the mere thought of him.

Our Peanut.

Oh yes.

He was concieved a bit unexpectedly.

Only 7 months after our wedding day.

After the doctors told us he would never be.

But there he was.

Growing inside me.

About to become our firstborn.

Can it be 8 years already?

My how the time does fly.

He was due on July 19th, 2002.

And was born that very next day.

He was all I imagined him to be.

And more.

So precious.

So perfect.

That thick jet black hair like his Daddy.

And those round rosy cheeks like his Mommy.

An amazing blend of the two us, everyone would say.

Nobody told me how much I would love him.

How his little smile would give me goosebumps all over.

How I would always remember the first time I laid eyes on him.

And replay that memory in my mind millions of times over.

Again and again.

And somehow it would always be like yesterday.

Eight years.

My little boy.

My little man.

So quickly did he grow.

So much has he changed.

And yet.

And yet still he loves to hold Mommy's hand.

And snuggle in bed with me when thunderstorms pass.

But I know it won't be long.

Before another 8 years will pass.

How proud I am of the 2nd grader he's become.

How I can't wait to see the 16 year old he'll soon be.

Eight years.

It really was yesterday.

I swear.

3 comments:

Christi said...

Tristan is such a blessing and what a cutie! I can't believe he's already 8! Time sure does fly! Tell him Happy Birthday from us!!

shelley said...

Such a wonderful young man you have there. He has the perfect mix of mischief and tenderness. He truly seems to have handled the big brother role with grace....we know how hard that is. Our first girl is 8 yrs older than our second girl.

Happy Birthday Peanut....you are the best!!! Auntie Shelley

Lena said...

Happy Birthday Peanut! I'm honored that you asked me to make his very special train cake for his 8th birthday. Looking forward to celebrating with you all!