A few short weeks ago, I remember thinking how wonderful it would be to have a little vacation from the duties of Mommyhood.
A little break from the pile of dirty dishes in the sink or the bottomless basket of laundry always waiting for me by the washing machine.
My, oh my, how things have changed.
Today I stood in my kitchen and cried because I can't wash those same dishes and I can't tackle my own laundry.
What I wouldn't give in this moment to give my little ones a bath or take them for a swim in the creek at the park.
Be oh so careful what you wish for.
Because a vacation from Mommyhood isn't quite all that it's cracked up to be.
And you may end up missing things that you never thought possible.
Like Peanut's smelly socks and that mysterious mold that's always growing in SuSu's sippy cups.
And holding my babies on my lap and sitting in the carpool lane for an hour every afternoon.
Oh how I miss those things.
You see, my recovery isn't going nearly as quickly and easily as I had hoped it might.
Yesterday my pain and nausea came back and my bloodwork shows my pancreatitis might not be completely resoloved.
And instead of sipping hot tea on my overstuffed chair this morning, I sat in a room full of strangers drinking barium contrast for a CAT scan. The surgeons are concerned I might have developed a rare complication of pancreatitis. A pancreatic pseudocyst.
The name alone scares me.
A pseudocyst?
I sure don't think I want one of them.
All I want are my sweet babies.
Snuggled up beside me on the sofa.
Eating ice cream and popcorn and watching our favorite movies.
That would be the best thing ever.
Be oh so careful what you wish for.
I know that I will.
A vacation from Mommyhood?
Never again I pray.
I'll take my loads of stinky underwear any day.
6 comments:
A great reminder not to take our children, or health, for granted. I pray that you well be well soon! I feel so bad for you right now.
Oh no! :(
Lots of get-well wishes!
i still can't believe all this is happening to you!!
i don't know...i'm thinking of pulling the "my pancreas hurts" card soon. lol
hang in there. don't you worry...that stinky underwear is waiting for you:)
Trust me, Flamingo Mama, you may want to pick a different body part to ache:) Even the gallbladder was better than the pancreas.....but not by much! I'm SOOOO ready for piles of stinky underwear. You can even bring yours over when I'm all better and I might be tempted to do it for ya:)
Hoping you are soon feeling better. Then you can hold your babies and wash your stinky socks Kate.
It was nice seeing you today Wuxi! But we need to get together under better circumstances! I guess your main job right now is resting and taking care of yourself - and don't belittle that job! You'll get back into the mommy routine soon enough. Still thinking and praying for you all.
Post a Comment