
Many, many years ago, when Peanut was just a little peep, I remember telling my Prince Charming "You know, someday, when our peeps are all in school, I think I might like to go back and get my Masters". It seemed like such a far off day (the day our peeps would all be in school) that I really never imagined it would come. But come it will. In exactly four months. Holy cow. In just shy of 120 days, our peeps will be away all day and Mommy will be at very interesting place. An empty nest of sorts.
Wow. How did this day sneak up on Mommy so quickly? I had all but forgotten about my ambitions of going back to school until about two weeks ago. And suddenly it dawned on me. That far off moment is coming. Soon! But for some reason, the idea of burning the midnite oil, cramming for midterms and sweating over presentations lost some of it's earlier appeal. Mommy was actually envisioning something quite different for herself when September rolls around:) Something like curling up with a good book and a grande cup of Starbucks coffee on our oversized chair.......or a long leisurely lunch with friends without needing to wipe any boogies or cut anybody's food.......you know....those kinds of things.
And yet reality is quietly knocking on my door. My body will never survive another 20years of floor nursing. As much as I love where I am, my knees are already starting to creak in the mornings. I look around my unit and see that there aren't many girls there over 40. And that's only a few short years away!
Funny thing about our lives. We come upon a milestone and realize we're really at a crossroads. My peeps are growing up and Mommy is growing older. I may be able to squeak out a few more years at the unbelievable hospital pace, but eventually Mommy will need to move on.
That day is coming. I feel the winds of change. It's exciting and frightening, all at the same time. A cherished part of my life is coming to an end. New and unchartered waters lie ahead! Will I go back to school this fall? Most likely not. Not yet. But soon? Yes, I believe very soon.
Mommy is quite surely standing at a crossroads. She knows most likely where she will go. But she may need a little more time, and a few more iced lates, before she decides.
3 comments:
I am almost in that place too--trying to decide on quality of life and balance being a working mom. I am looking at going into special education (I teach gen. ed right now). I am trying to make sure I have balance in my life. I think I'm getting there, but not yet. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Jolene
wow! that is awesome! you have WAY more energy than you think girl.
i'm excited to see the road God leads you down....will the triple stroller be a the next bend???:) lol
Exciting and frightening times ahead - it's part of the adventure and I wish you enjoyment in it!
Post a Comment