I'm a tiny bit sad that our laptop is still in the "the shop" this week because we have some beautiful pictures that I'm so anxious to share with everyone from the blizzard that came our way a few days ago! This winter has really been a crazy one, with two blizzards in a little over a month of each other. The last year we had a blizzard was in 2003. Friday nite into Saturday we had over 20 inches of snow in our town, making this storm even bigger than the one we had the weekend before Christmas. Amazing! Even more fun was the drive into work Saturday morning where I was sure I was going to spend the whole weekend. But, as luck would have it, a few more nurses came into work late Saturday evening and I was allowed to sleep at home that nite. Praise God for small miracles:) We spent most of Sunday digging ourselves out, only to hear that we're getting another heavy snow tommorrow into Wednesday! Of course, my little ones are in heaven with our sledding hill out back and 8 feet high snow banks along our driveway. I seriously have no idea where we'll put the snow that's coming in the next few days. How do all of you in snowy areas do this all winter long?? Hopefully by next week I'll be able to post some of our pictures for you of all our blizzard adventures!
The one fanastic thing about all this snow is that I get a great workout every day just by shoveling and shoveling and shoveling. It's been kind of good for me to change up my routine.......salsa dancing one day, digging out my car the next......variety is sure keeping my exercise interesting! Funny thing is that, back in December, when we had our first blizzard, I was so exhausted after being outside about 30 minutes. I was huffing and puffing and not a great help to my Prince Charming. But yesterday, I felt really good! I shoveled almost 2 hours with him, and, aside from being a bit sore, I actually felt good afterwards. Even Prince Charming noticed a difference in me from just a few short weeks ago. Maybe all the asparagus and the dreaded leg lifts are working!
My running total of weight loss so far is 8 lbs in a little over 4 weeks! I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am for all of your support and encouragement during this journey. There was a point just a few months ago that I had really given up on losing weight. When I got on the scale after Christmas and saw the number on there, I just sat and cried. I was heavier than I have ever been, even when I was pregnant. During most of my life I had always been pretty thin and fit. I never had to worry about eating a cheeseburger or a chocolate milkshake, and I actually liked going to the gym. But when the pounds starting adding up about two years ago, I realized for the first time how heartbreaking it really is to be overweight. When my friend, Janell, asked me to be in her wedding in December, I was actually tempted to say no because of my fear of being in front of a crowd and being this heavy. I realized, at that moment, that my weight was beginning to keep from things and people that I love. It was my aha moment, I think. I wanted to be in her wedding. I wanted to run with my kids at the park. I wanted to go to the beach and not need to wear my coverup the whole day. I wanted my life back. And for some reason, the timing was right.
My friends and family were behind me from the beginning, always encouraging and cheering me on. And Prince Charming? He gave up his iced tea, his sun chips, and a lot of other treats that were a weakness for me just so that the temptation wouldn't be in our house! He's even eating broccoli, passing up Big Macs and curly fries, and drinking water with me at mealtimes. I never thought I would see the day!! It's been quite the journey so far. I definately am hungry sometimes. I sure do miss chocolate ice cream and McDonald's french fries. But passing by the donuts is getting easier. It really is!
If you're on the verge of taking the plunge or are already on your weight loss journey, too, please feel free to share your story with us! Without my computer, I won't be able to do this week's Weigh-In Wednesday. But I promise I'll be back as soon as I can.
5 comments:
I think that it is so encouraging and wonderful that your husband is giving up temptations for you! What awesome support! I am so happy for you Heather! I can't wait to see pictures of the wedding, when I know you will be glowing because you will be feeling so great. - Charissa
I miss your photos!!! HURRY BACK, COMPUTER!!!
AMAZING job on your weight loss journey! I bet it felt GREAT to shovel. I shoveled during the first snow storm in Dec because my hubby had just had surgery. It felt good because I haven't exercised in 6 years...
Hasnt the blizzard been a BLAST!? So, so, sorry you had to go to work during this. That's scary. I came in today, but it wasn't a fun commute. Not doing it tomorrow after that snow fall.
Thanks for your honesty about weight.... a struggle I've had since having babies... I'm on the way down now and feeling great. But it is true until you've stepped on the scales and hit THAT number, you just don't know what the other side of that coin feels like. Best wishes- I'm pulling for you!
i almost choked up there for a little. the running in the park with the kids got me the most. seriously, i am proud of you and esp. think it's cool you are willing to blog about it.
of course, i was still a little choked up about your computer STILL not being back! i would be having convulsions:)
he...i think you should do before and after pictures!
Post a Comment