Today the inevitable happened. The moment that we as Mommys sometimes dread and sometimes dream about. The day when all of your little ones are going to school. Together. Without us. The day when you come home, for the first time in as long as you can remember, to an empty house. All day long.
I have to admit that there were a lot of days in the past few weeks that I was counting down to this one! As much as I promised myself I would never be one of those Moms who couldn't wait for the kids to go back to school, I found myself in their camp this summer. I felt guilty about feeling that way, but there was no denying that I was daydreaming about September 2nd more often as August came to an end. It was a tough summer for us, and I think we were all in need of a change of scenery. Peanut and SuSu included. In fact, our Peanut, who has been known to have extraordinary anxiety about school in the past, has come home smiling and happy every day this week and announced this morning that he loves school. I made him say it again, just to be sure! I think our saving graces this year for Peanut were three things......he has the sweetest 2nd grade teacher, he's not starting in a new school this year, and his best friend is in his class. All is right in the world for him, and Mommy couldn't be anymore thankful.
And our SuSu? How was her kindergarden debut? Well, let's just say that I think she has everyone in her school, from the nurse to the principal, completely charmed! Not to mention, that while all the other kindergardeners quietly walked out to meet their parents after the 1st day, our SuSu came leaping out the front door with Peanut to greet me announcing "I like big school lots, Mommy!". What more could a Mommy ask for??
I have to admit, that as much as I was looking forward to the 1st day of school, I felt that old familiar ache in my chest as I watched my two not-so-little-ones walk hand in hand into the front door of their school yesterday. It's funny how that moment always tugs at my heart. And, if it hadn't been for the impatient parents behind me in their cars, anxious to pull away and be on with their day, I probably could have sat there in that spot an hour and cried big croccodile tears. How is it that suddenly all of my frustrations from the past few months could melt away suddenly at the sight of them disappearing into the lobby of "big school"? Amazing. But that's exactly what happened.
So when I got home to my first day alone, what did Mommy do, you may wonder? Well, as odd as it sounds, I did normal stuff. Dishes. Laundry. Cleaning the toilet. Exciting stuff like that. But then, since that only took me a short while with no distractions around, I found myself facing a whole day of quiet. Quiet. And that could mean only one thing. I picked up a good book, settled on my sofa and read. All afternoon long. Can I tell you, it was pure heaven for me. I can't remember the last time I sat and read like that and it was like music to my soul. Of course, I can't sit and read all day every day, until the end of the school year. (Well, I guess I actually could!) But, today I baked and ran errands and haven't picked up my book yet. But in a few minutes I will be! And oh, how good it feels to just think about it. Yes, I think I will grow to love this season. Of course, that old familiar ache was still there when we said our goodbyes this morning. And by the time 3 o'clock rolls around, I'll be so anxious to see them and hear all of their stories. But in the meanwhile, coffee is brewing. A good book is waiting for me. And all is quiet.
2 comments:
We need to get together for lunch! I can talk and listen away your afternoon very quickly. :) This coming week is pretty hectic, but I am thinking the next week would be perfect. Let me know what day suits you the best! (Sept. 13-17)
coffee and a good book??? i want to come!!!!
Post a Comment